Late in 1956 the Auckland City Council agreed that an area within Lot 76, now known as the Blockhouse Bay Recreational Reserve, should be set aside for a bowling club. The allocated area was large enough to accommodate three greens, a pavilion and provision for car parking.
On 17 December 1956 a group of local residents had their first meeting and it was agreed to construct two grass bowling greens at 33 Terry Street.
It was at a meeting held on 20 October 1958 that the Men’s bowling club was officially formed. However, it was not until 5 March 1959 that the Blockhouse Bay Bowling Club was finally incorporated. A Women’s bowling club was formed some months later and shared the facilities set up by the men. The two greens were officially opened on 31 October, 1959 but it took until 29 September, 1962 before the pavilion was completed and formally opened. The Foundation members paid an annual subscription of £6.0.0.
The site is leased from the Auckland City Council, but the Club rooms and facilities are owned by the Club.
On 1 May 2006 the Men’s and Women’s Clubs amalgamated and the Club was renamed Blockhouse Bay Bowls.
The merged Club is the largest in Auckland with a playing membership of just over 200 members.
The Club has won the award for the ‘Auckland Bowling Club of the Year’ for 2006/07, 2020/21 & 2021/22. Following the results of the five Men’s and three Women’s Interclub teams, the Club was the Auckland Interclub Club of the year in 2007/08.
During 2008/09 the Club celebrated its 50th Jubilee and published a booklet outlining the Club’s development and acknowledging the work of the many volunteers that have over the fifty years contributed to the successful formation of a strong and progressive Club.
In 2009 the club celebrated its 50th Anniversary!